I’m an optimistic by nature. When I saw a link on Pinterest about creating a blog in 10 minutes, I was intrigued. I’ve been blogging for a few years on blogger read more, so I figured it was about time to go big or stay home. I had never used Word Press though. Thinking to myself, “It can’t be that hard?”, I clicked the link and started following the directions.
Let me tell you, if you know what you’re doing, I bet it can be easy. If you are a novice like me, it absolutely cannot be done in 10 minutes. Period.
I didn’t have tons of time to devote to figuring it out, but “10 minutes theory” just sounded so quick and easy and tempting. I made my purchase of the Theme on 10/8/16. Yep, well over a month ago. 30 + days does not equal 10 minutes.
What did I learn along the way to the big go live day?
- Word Press is more robust than Blogger.
- Blogger is much easier to start up and get going right away.
- The Theme you pick and your ability to work with it determines the length of time it takes you to get going.
- It may be beneficial to have demo content to work with. It was fun to see what it all looked like, but then making it your own when you don’t know what you’re doing complicates the process.
- It is frustrating when you can’t figure out what you keep doing wrong.
- It is fun once you figure out what you’ve done right.
- In the middle of trying to figure out things, stop and write a post. Just having time to be creative helps get you over the struggles.
Learning new things is a challenge for the brain and good for all of us. Persistence does pay off. I’ll keep you posted on tricks I learn figuring out Word Press. If you have great tips, please leave me a comment! I’d love to hear how you’ve learned your way through the challenges.
Time moves slowly, but passes quickly. – Alice Walker